Europe in the Spring makes for a fantastic vacation. May is a great month to visit, actually, it's one of the three best months to tour Europe. The weather is likely to be excellent, and the big crowds are at work/school/college.
Following are the BEST PLACES TO VISIT in Europe this spring. Here are a few festivals going on in May (in no particular order):
- Feast of San Nicola in Bari, the Feast of San Gennaro in Naples, the Festival of Snakes in Abruzzo.
- Maggio Musicale Fiorentino in Florence is Italy's oldest music event focuses on opera, ballet and concerts.
- Vogalonga in Venice is hundreds of small, man-powered boats racing 30km, finishing in the Grand Canal.
- Cannes Film Festival. Actually, that’s a bad thing unless you’re a film freak.
- Chaumont Garden Festival – thirty wonderful and sometimes wacky show gardens around a perfect chateau (castle), every year May 15-October 19.
- Isle of Man TT (motorcycle) Races, May/June.
- Chelsea Flower Show in London – 11 acres of the UK’s (and arguably Europe’s) best flowers and gardens event, with plenty of original, even wacky ideas.
- Glyndebourne Festival Opera (in a stately home outside London), late May-early July.
- It's Tulip season. Seeing all those glorious blossoms in full bloom...spectacular!
- Prague Spring International Music Festival.
- Vienna International Festival from mid-May to mid-June; a wide range of arts, especially music, naturally, but also dance and theatre, sometimes challenging pieces, all set in magnificent buildings.
- Athens Festival – drama, dance, and music in the 2,000-year-old outdoor Odeion theatre at the base of Acropolis Hill. Location, location!